February 16, 2016

Reported Speech

Reported Statements:
• Present Simple –> Past Simple
'I’m very tired,' she said.   –> She said (that) she was very tired.

• Present Progressive  –> Past Progressive
'I’m going to school now,' he said. –> He said (that) he was going to school.

• Present Perfect –>Past Perfect
'I have made good progress in Italian,' Sarah said. –> Sarah said (that) she had made good progress in Italian.

• Past Progressive –> Past Progressive/Past Perfect Progressive 
'I was flying over Paris at 5 o’clock yesterday,' Carol said. –> Carol said (that) she was flying / had been flying over Paris at 5 o’clock the day before.

• Past Simple –> Past Perfect
'I spent my holidays in Egypt,' he said –> He said (that) he had spent his holidays in Egypt.

• Future Simple –> Future – in – the Past
'Danny will come tomorrow,' she said. –> She said (that) Danny would come the following day.


Other changes:
Reported questions:

!!! Note the word order change !!!

A) Special questions (wh-questions)
'What is the time?' –> She asked me what time it was.
'How is your mother?' –> He asked me how my mother was.
'Where do you live?' –> He asked me where I lived.
'When did you come home yesterday?' –> Sarah asked me when I had come home the day before.

B) General questions (if/whether)
'Are you hungy?' –> He asked if I was hungry.
'Did you see the film?' –> She asked whether I had seen the film.

Reported commands:

!!! Verbs for reported commands: tell, order, command, warn, instruct, etc. !!!

'Sit down, Mary.' –> He told Mary to sit down.
'Don’t stop.' –> He told them not to stop.

Reported requests:
'Would you open the door, please?' –> She asked me to open the door.

References:


No comments:

Post a Comment

'text-align: center;'>