Fashion (Q&A)
1. Let’s talk about
fashion. What style in clothes do you prefer and why?
Most people like to think they are individualists and simply wear whatever they like. Few people will admit to being slaves to fashion. We say that we wear jeans and sweaters, because they are cheap and practical,
but
isn’t it true that our jeans and sweaters tend to be the same as everyone else wears? Doesn’t
that mean that we like to be trendy?
Of course, the big chain stores, to some extent,
dictate what we wear, but they always offer a choice.
Every fashion goes through three stages.
At first it is different; it may be new and exciting,
shocking or surprising. Then it becomes
popular, and the original
idea is imitated. Finally it becomes boring and out of date as a new fashion starts.
Being fashionable says something
about you. It means that you are up to date in other ways. Some changes in clothes have
been
practical and reflect the different way that we live. TV, music, magazines, our friends and even our
parents influence our style too. But fashion is about having fun and being up to date. Today fashion is a big industry.
For most British people fashion is not very important.
The British don’t think about it very much. Even the richest and most important
people often wear casual clothes.
Most people go down to the nearest shopping
street and buy something from a chain store. The most popular of these stores, with a shop in every town in the country, is Marks & Spencer. Twenty per cent of all the clothes the British buy come from M & S.
Talking about Belarus at school
we wear formal uniforms. I think that everybody has the freedom to choose the
clothes he/she likes but we should be appropriately dressed for the occasion.
School is a place where students get knowledge, it's not a playground. So, in
general I like my school uniform, but when the school is over I wear my
favorite clothes: jeans and sweaters. I am sure casual clothes are more
comfortable than formal clothes.
To sum it up, I personally
believe that fashion is about expressing your identity, showing someone who you
are through your fashion choices and using your clothes to tell someone
something about you. For some people clothing is just about comfort or utility
but for me it's about expressing myself.
2. Do you follow the latest
fashion trends? Why (not)?
I do watch
Fashion Police and occasionally read fashion magazines. I love clothes and
fashion but I don’t really follow fashion trends and I wouldn’t say I’m a
trendy person. I have my own style as well and I stick with it. I like cardigan
sweaters, well actually I love them! I have many different colors that I wear
over another top, or a t-shirt, with jeans. That’s pretty much what I wear most
of the time.
I would much
rather go for classic items that stand the test of time over trendy pieces that
come and go with the seasons. I honestly don’t have enough money to be buying
clothes all the time, and to be keeping up with the latest fashions. If I had more
money it might be a different story!
I get my
clothes from all over the place. I like to be different and not wear the same
things as other people. I love bargains and getting clothes for really cheap.
My favorite shirt costs $4!
So I can't say
that I am a fashion fan, but I always try to keep up-to-date.
3. What questions would
you ask a fashion designer?
1) What qualities does a person need to become as famous as you?
2) What would you advise a person who wants to become a designer?
3) Why did you decide to become a designer?
4) Is it hard to be a designer?
5) Do you think the job of a designer is the most interesting in the
world?
4. What can you advise a
person who wants to change something about his/her style but doesn’t know how
to do it?
If you’ve had the same style
for more than four or five years, it’s time to shake things up. Changing up
your style can be an important to keeping your look in tune with where you are
in your life and to preventing you from looking older or (unflatteringly)
younger than your true age. Fortunately, renovating your style isn’t as difficult
as you may think. Just follow these easy steps and have fun!
1. Start with the basics to build your new wardrobe.
2.
Buy for both style AND fit. Clothes that fit well and
flatter your body are essential to successful style.
3. Focus on your best colors. Decide
which colors most flatter your skin tone and eyes and work within that palette.
4. Find your accessories. Accessories
allow you to make a look specifically yours, so finding the right pieces for
your style will help you fine-tune the tone and look of your personal style.
And always remember that you can use the
Internet blogs or special style programs to find out what styles or clothes
suit you. You can also ask your friends to help! Your friend's advice will be
very valuable. I wish you good luck!
5. They say that young
people pay a lot of attention to their style and want to be fashionable. What
do you think about it?
Why is it that when you look around the streets, all the young people seem to be wearing the same clothes? Just watch a few music videos and you will begin to understand how it all works. Popular music seems to have become the most important means of
self-definition for young people. Whether they prefer heavy metal, grunge
or pop, the musicians they see on TV soon become their role models.
They
not only want to hear the sound, they want to copy the musician’s
style.
Peer pressure is another influence.
To
most young people dressing to look like their friends seems to be the surest way to be accepted. While style should ideally be a way of
showing people who
you really are, following the trends means that you end up being — or seeming to be — exactly
like everyone else.
Teenagers would rather not go out at all than go out wearing the “wrong” clothes or footwear. Even in cold weather they prefer to go out without
wearing a jacket if it means avoiding wearing something which does not make them look cool. The problem is the clothes that teenagers think are cool, tend to be more expensive than those which are not. Also, the “uncool” clothes are often much warmer than the trendy ones, but unfortunately kids can’t stand wearing them.
References:
•
Your English Exam
Support: Подготовка к экзамену по английскому языку:
пособие для учащихся учреждений общего среднего образования / [сост. Н.А.
Сергиенко]. – Мозырь: Белый Ветер, 2015. – 97, [3] с.
•
Английский язык. Все устные темы для подготовки к
выпускному экзамену и ЕГЭ. 11 класс

No comments:
Post a Comment